Sunday, July 22, 2012

Italy in Retrospect

 On Thursday morning I boarded the first of four flights which would deliver me home to Melbourne. I waved good bye to oppressive heat, cobblestones, gelato, great coffee, wine and olives. 30 odd hours of travel later and I was looking eagerly through the plane window at a glittering Melbourne skyline. I remembered to stop off at duty free and waited impatiently for my luggage. An hour or so after touching down, I was back in Reece's arms.

IMG_2072

 Italy already feels a little like a dream. A hot, laughter filled, awe inspiring dream. Though it's amazing to be home, and I was very much ready to return. I think it's impossible to travel for any amount of time with out finding yourself somewhat changed. For me it was more of a reaffirmation of who I am and what I want to achieve. The course I completed whilst there called for a deal of self evaluation and re iterated to me my own personal code of ethics and how I would ideally like to live my life.

IMG_2189

 I made many new friends and grew to understand myself a little more. I saw amazing examples of dedication to faith. I'm not a very religious person myself, but the art and architecture people create to express there devotion is incredible. I saw palaces and gardens, monasteries and museums. I found beauty at every turn and lived alongside an amazing race of people.

313916_10151115739393109_1963770356_n
taken by a friend

 And now I'm home. A little browner, a little wiser, a little more worldly. And looking forward to my next adventure.

380660_10150995167814513_843569484_n
taken by a friend at the Misericoria museum

IMG_1914

IMG_2455

100_0512


Alice xx

1 comment:

  1. Love it, can't wait to see what you do next! Come check out my blog, maybe we can follow each other!
    Material Fixations

    ReplyDelete

Comments and thoughts are greatly appreciated and make me smile.